Our Summer League is almost over at my FLGS after being extended for one week to give a little more time for the newer players to finish. We did a small escalation league starting at 200 points week 1 (Kill Team Rules) and finishing at 750 week 4 (Regular CAD). I have not done well in the games I played but I am very happy with how the two units I needed to paint turned out. I wanted to have a few demons on hand in case I wanted to summon with a Weirdboy list so I picked Demons for the league. It was a nice change of pace from the Orkz. However, no that I am finished with my League commitment it is time to get back to the Waagh so I can have enough stuff painted for LVO (HOTEL BOOKED, BABY!). Lets check out the finished product!
All I need to do is finish three of my PVA glue/coffee blood slime bases and a few minor touch ups. I want to change up the instrument a little bit and fix a few minor spots before I seal them.
Like most things I paint, I started with black primer and worked my way up. I used a thin coat of watered down Mephiston Red for the first coat. I followed this with a bit I saw on GirlPainting on YouTube, which was a mix of Nuln Oil and Carroburg Crimson. I then did a second layer of Mephiston Red on the raised areas. I wanted to keep them dark.
The biggest pain in the butt was figuring out what to do with the swords. After four tries I finally settled on the fiery effect. I started with Flash Gitz yellow and worked my way out towards the edge of the blade. Khador Red Highlight to Khador Red Base, Mephiston Red, Scorched Brown, and finally Thamar Black on the edge. I evened the transition a bit using the Bloodletter Glaze from GW.
I wanted some good contrast for the bumps so I did them in Khador Red Highlight. I tried to drybrush them but the effect was too cloudy on my test model, so I did a little dab on each one.
My favorite part of this project was doing the Banner of Blood.
I built up the banner itself from Balor Brown, a few different mixes of Balor Brown and Ushabti Bone, to just Ushabti Bone heavily watered for the last highlight. It looks like skin. I added the blood much the same way that I add rust to my vehicles. Stipple Brown, then dark red, and then bright red. I took the paint right out of the pot for the blood work since I wanted it to be a little chunky when it dried. The texture makes it look really good.
I had a great time with this league and I learned a few new things. Now my focus is going to be on LVO. I have been paying around with different lists which will kind of dictate what I need to paint. Regardless, I'll need some Lootas, so I have my first 10 already primed and waiting on my paint table. Thanks for checking it out. Feel free to leave any comments or questions. I think I am finally getting back into a blogging routine, so I should be posting a bit more often. Thanks again!