Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Stone Base Tutorial

Greetings everyone!  As 8th Edition looms ever closer on the horizon, I felt like it would be the perfect time to actually start working on my Age of Sigmar Ironjawz.  There are no 40k events happening at my FLGS for the rest of the month so it really does fit in well with my schedule.

One of the most important, yet often overlooked aspects of building you army is having a cohesive basing system for your army.  All of my 40k Orks are based in the same way.  I wanted to change it up a bit for my Ironjawz, so I decided on a dungeon floor, ruined structure look. I used a similar approach on some of my Deffskullz with a different color scheme.

To do this simple style base, you will need the following items:

A sheet of plasticard (I used an old sign)
Hobby knife
Super glue
Black primer
Skavenblight Dinge (GW)
Warpfiend Grey (GW)
Underbelly Blue (P3)

Step 1:  Cut your plasticard.
Old sign

Using the hobby knife, score the plasticard in straight lines. It doesn't need to be perfect because of the weathering and chips we will add.  Snap the plasticard along the scoring to create a nice "cut".
More or less the same size
This will leave you with a bunch of strips.  Score those strips into small squares.  Snap each one off to end up with a bunch of tiny squares.  Once this is complete, you will carefully use your hobby knife to shave off the strait corners.  You can scrape the plasticard to add chips and dents into your tiles.  This can be a bit messy, so I would recommend using a small box to catch the shavings.

Looks straight enough for me!
 Once that is finished you can glue your tiles onto your base.  Once it is dry, shave off the overhanging tiles with your hobby knife.  After everything fits, hit it with some black primer.

After your primer is dry you can begin the easy dry-brushing.  Start with Skavenblight Dinge, this can be a really heavy dry-brush.  Then use Warpfiend Grey paying close attention to the edges of the tiles.  Finally, you use a very light bit of Underbelly Blue for the final highlights.

If you would like, you could hit it with a wash before your final highlight, but I didn't feel the need to.  When I add the model to the base, I scrape off the paint at the contact points soI am gluing directly to the plastic instead of the paint.
 All done! Now youcan have your Warband looking like they roam the halls of some abandoned keep.  You can always switch up the colors to give different looks.  Hope this helps someone out there.  The longest part is shaving down the tiles.  Thanks for checking it out!

5 comments:

  1. I was just about to buy some bases like this for my 30k Dark Angels! I think I'll just make them now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a simple process, but it looks great. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really good and economical. thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Blog , Thanks
    Single noble business trip massage Noble business trip massage It is a business trip massage company with no advance payment and no reservation fee in Seoul and Gyeonggi-do. Please use the website for detailed course consultation inquiries.For more at 출장안마

    ReplyDelete