Monday, August 22, 2016

Because I hate sleeping

Greetings all!  After a prolonged absence the Mad Mek has finally returned.  The new school semester has started, I continue to work 50 hours a week, I am running a D&D game, and I have been writing a bit.  All of these things make it hard to hobby, but I am close to finding the right balance.  I have done a few things these past two months, but I am way behind on my commitments as the 2015/2016 hobby season draws to a close.  Let's look inside the workshop and see what I have done.

MOAR EXCUSES!

My hobby has taken a bit of a backseat to pen and paper rpgs lately.  My FLGS has D&D Adventurers League every Tuesday night and by sheer fortune I have managed to have the evening off for the majority of the summer.  Playing with this group promted me to run a "one-shot" that might evolve into a full fledged campaign.

I took vacation in July, visiting family in Houston, and the day after I came back I played in an ITC sanctioned 1850 point tournament with my Deffkopta Spam list.  I had a really rough outing as the list was very difficult to play quickly.  I never came close to going five turns in the 2.5 hour time limit for the games.  Too many models to use, too many rolls (I have an article in the works to expand on this topic).  Also, disaster struck game two as the guy at the table next to me accidently bumped my elbow during deployment causing me to drop my tray full of Trukks.  Four of my Trukks were damaged to various degrees.  It really killed the desire to hobby afterward.  I was a bit depressed by my tournament performance and the accident.  Not to say that I was playing to win, but rather that I had such poor mastery of my list.  I still think the Orkurion can work, but I need to shore up my gameplay.  Once I motivated myself to fix my Trukks, I started getting sporadic painting time in.

I had an opportunity to pick up a Big Trakk with a Supa Kannon in what many refer to as "Chinacast."  I must say I was extremely disappointed with the quality of this model (I know, you get what you pay for), awful mold lines, paper thin resin in some places, missing pieces, and such.  It left a bad taste in my mouth for sure.  I assembled it the best I could and I am hoping with some decent paint work that the poor quality of the model wont be as apparent.  I don't think I will do that again, I probably definitely would have gotten far more enjoyment if I just scratch-built something myself (part of the hobby that I have gotten away from for a while).



I also have been plugging away on my Mek Gunz.  I had hoped to finish four in July, but I ran out of time.  I did finish the Kromlech Sparkk Energy Kannon aside from a bit of weathering.


I am going to keep plugging away and hopefully get a bit organized so I can balance all of the things I am doing.  Thanks for checking it out.  More to come. 

5 comments:

  1. Good to have you back Mek, that was a bit of bad luck with the trukk's mate, I've heard mixed thing's about the China stuff but have never got anything that way myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really disappointed with the China stuff, but I was enamored with the price. Makes me appreciate GW all the more. Lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome stuff here M.Mad :) hope to see the halftrackk fully painting. Like this one and Ork Forgeworld stuffs in general.
      I understand you about the China stuff. Personnaly I prefer GW and FW all the time.

      Delete
  3. I think we both got the same china cast supa kannon. I got one for a steal on ebay. Was it yellowish resin? Don't get alcohol on it, it MELTS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. Mine was grey and extremely brittle. The paint is helping it look OK.

      Delete